Monday, December 19, 2011

Humble self. Luke 14

Print

Today's reading is Luke 14.  If you are reading along, what are you hearing from God's Word?

Scripture:
Luke 14.11   "For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

Observation:
I am to be humble and not assume I am better than anyone else.

Application:
I needed to look this up, so I turned to my study Bible.  Per their insight on this verse:

How can we humble ouselves? Some people try to give the appearance of humility in order to manipulate others.  Others think that humility means putting themselves down.  Truly humble people compare themselves only to Christ, realize their sinfulness, and understand their limitations.  On the other hand, they also recognize their gifts and strengths and are willing to use them as Christ directs.  Humility is not self-degradation; it is realistic assessment and commitment to serve.

So, how does this apply to me?  I find myself thinking I am better than others and this is sin.  I am not better than anyone else walking on earth.  In the words of Paul in 1 Timothy 1.15, "Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I (Ellen) am the worst."

Prayer:
Father... You know this is a weak area for me.  Thank you for Your grace and guidance as I seek to humble myself in all occasions with all people.  Amen


Blessings,

     Ellen

1 comment:

  1. Say, I enjoyed reading this post. Things we know but don't think about.
    Wish you a very happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts with me! I look forward to getting to know you better.

If you do not wish to sign-in, please email me your comments and I will post them. Due to too many spam comments, I have chosen to close the comments to anonymous users. Thank you for understanding. ~ Ellen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...