Friday, December 23, 2011

God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Luke 18

Print

How easy is it to think you are just sharing your accomplishments; when in fact, you are making sure everyone around you knows all the great things you have accomplished.  Jesus teaches us that this is pride and self-righteousness which is sin.

Scripture:
Luke 18.10-14   "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector.  The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men - robbers, evildoers, adulterers - or even like this tax collector.  I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.'  But the tax collector stood at a distance.  He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'  I (Jesus) tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God.  For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

Observation:
The Pharisee went to the temple to announce to everyone within earshot how good he was.  The tax collector knew his sin and begged God for mercy.

Application:
The Pharisee is full of self-righteousness and pride which keeps him from God.  I don't want to be like him.  I need to acknowledge my sin and 'beat my breast' and pray daily, "God, have mercy on me, a sinner."

Prayer:
Father... as much as I want to be like the tax collector, all too often I find myself tooting my own horn.  Help me to fall to my knees and seek Your mercy always.  Amen


Blessings,

     Ellen

0 thoughts shared:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts with me! I look forward to getting to know you better.

If you do not wish to sign-in, please email me your comments and I will post them. Due to too many spam comments, I have chosen to close the comments to anonymous users. Thank you for understanding. ~ Ellen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...