Thursday, September 23, 2010

Homekeeper's Journal ~ September 23, 2010

Print
Longsuffering

In the Bible there are two words that are used in the New Testament which talk about Patience.

There is, of course, patience.  And then there is Long-suffering.  We don’t like that word much because our very nature seems to be repulsed by it… Long-suffering.

Suffering … Long.

Suffering a lonnnnnnng time.

But it isn’t just any kind of suffering Long-suffering is talking about.  Patience is what we seek when we have a trying situation to go through.  Long-Suffering is what we need when we are dealing with people.

Long-suffering means that we have patience with people.

God expects that we will have difficult people in our lives and He knows that it will sometimes be painful.  So He calls us to suffer a long time with people, be patient with them, while He is working out His plan in our lives and in their lives.

How can we refuse to be Long-suffering with others when we know how long God has suffered with our own foolishness?

This week’s Homekeeper’s Journal is all about Long-suffering ….

God has worked in my life regarding patience and long-suffering in these ways ………… by allowing me to "suffer" through some bad life choices; thus, allowing me the sweetness of His answer to my prayer.

The hardest part of showing long-suffering is …………. not allowing my flesh to take control of the situation or loving the person through their season of long-suffering.  (Keeping my mouth shut.)

The most rewarding part of showing long-suffering is ……….. living the gospel of loving others through it; rejoicing with them when it is over!

The one kind situation that I have the most trouble showing long-suffering in is ……… when the long-suffering was brought on by poor choices and the person isn't "doing" anything to 'right the wrong.'

I see how kindness goes hand in hand with long-suffering because ………. it shows God's love to those around you.

I want others to show long-suffering to me when ……… I'm indecisive or working through a bout of mild depression.

God shows long-suffering to me in these ways ……….. always loving me and bringing me closer to Him by whom he places in my life.

Ephesians 4:1b-2 says ….. "I (Paul) urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. 2Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love." 

This week I will begin to ask God to ……….. give me long-suffering patience and humility while still parenting teenagers and the words to bring them to a more intimate relationship with Him. 

Lord, show me how to love my teens through this season in their lives.

2 comments:

Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts with me! I look forward to getting to know you better.

If you do not wish to sign-in, please email me your comments and I will post them. Due to too many spam comments, I have chosen to close the comments to anonymous users. Thank you for understanding. ~ Ellen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...